Since August is National Eye Exam Month, we thought it was a great time to focus on the importance of getting regular eye exams. So, we'll be sharing tips and info with you over the next few weeks to help you navigate your way to the local eye doctor's office.
Although regular eye exams are recommended, many people put them off until it's an absolute neccesity. Don't be one of those people! Instead, ask yourself the following questions to see if you need to schedule that appointement sooner rather than later.
- Do you get frequent headaches? Headaches are often one of the earliest warning signs that there's been a change in your vision.
- Do your eyes have problems focusing? If you regularly have trouble focusing your eyes, it could be a sign of a larger health issue or danger for your eyes.
- Do your eyes hurt or get tired on a frequent basis? We've all experienced tired eyes occassionally, but when it becomes a commonly recurring issue, don't ignore it! The pain or fatique could be the result of an infection, a serious health condition, or on early warning sign of changes to your vision.
- Do you spend a lot of time squinting? We squint because it helps us to see better when we're having issues. According to Cornell University's Ask A Scientist column, "squinting works by two mechanisms – by both changing the shape of the eye and by letting in light that can be focused more precisely by the lens." Both of these functions provide improved vision while squinting, making squinting a sure sign that your current prescription just isn't cutting it anymore!
- Has it been more than 2 years since your last eye exam? If your answer is yes, get yourself to an eye doctor ASAP, regardless of your answers to the previous four questions, especially if you are over 40. Eye exams are crucial for good eye health, and they can also revel underlying or developing health issues that other doctors may miss.
After your eye exam, don't forget to ask your eye doctor for a copy of your prescription so that you can visit EyeBuyDirect to order your glasses at a tremendous savings!