Taking care of your eyeglasses every day is the best way to maintain them for as long as possible and keep them looking great. However, most people don’t know how to properly clean glasses. Follow these eyeglass cleaning tips to keep eyewear damage at bay.
How to Clean Your Eyeglasses
Whether you’re cleaning eyeglasses or sun wear, you should clean your glasses using the following steps:
- Wash and dry your hands before touching your eyeglasses.
- Rinse your glasses under a gentle stream of warm tap water to remove dust and debris. This will minimize scratches on your lenses.
- Apply some lotion-free dishwashing liquid to both lenses and rub both sides of your lenses gently for a few seconds. Make sure to reach the nose pads and arms as well, as oils can accumulate here.
- Rinse your lenses and frames thoroughly to make sure all the soap is gone before drying.
- Shake the glasses carefully to remove most of the water from the lenses. Examine them to make sure they’re clean.
- Carefully dry your lenses with a clean, lint-free dish towel. Any lint or dirt on the towel can scratch or smear your lenses.
- Inspect your lenses for any streaks or smudges and remove them with a microfiber cloth. These are available from most optical stores.
- For touch-up cleanings, pre-packaged, pre-moistened disposable lens wipes are available for you to use. You can also use spray eyeglass cleaners.
The best way to clean eyeglasses is to use the methods above. To make sure your glasses don’t need much cleaning, keep your glasses in protective storage cases when not in use.
Eyeglasses – Theory in Cafe Noir
What Not to Do When Cleaning
If you don't have the materials to clean your glasses, try to find appropriate materials to clean them. Don't use a shirt, paper towels, or tissues to clean them, especially when they're dry. This can scratch your lenses. Also, try not to use anything but water or eyeglass spray to clean your lenses — saliva and household cleaners are not made to work with lenses and can damage them.
Get Quality With EyeBuyDirect
With EyeBuyDirect, you get high-quality glasses that will last for years, provided you treat them right. It's always good to remember, however, that no pair of glasses will last forever. Fortunately, with EyeBuyDirect, you can get great pairs of frames at affordable prices, so you don't have to break the bank for a new pair of glasses.
If you have any questions about caring for your glasses or any concerns about your frames, EyeBuyDirect can help. Our customer support staff is always ready to answer any issues, and with our 12-month Product Guarantee and 14-day Fit & Style Guarantee, we can replace or repair your frames if you don't like them or if they get damaged. It's all part of our dedication to your satisfaction. Browse our catalogue today to get started.